Saturday, September 5, 2009

Final Entry of a Father-Daughter Adventure

Farewell, China!

Well, we did arrive safely back in Saskatchewan, and made it through security without the appearance of rubber gloves. I thought we'd spend the night in Saskatoon, but Crystal whisked us back to the acreage that night.

It took a few days to adjust back to home life; partly the difference in the weather, partly the food, but mostly it took a while getting used to not being the centre of attention. Sky Ann, on the other hand, seemed to have no problem at all. One of my favourite compliments while in China: You are a handsome man and a satisfactory father. 

A month has passed since we returned home. I am so glad I had this opportunity, and especially thankful for Sky Ann. I used to love traveling alone, but it would not have been the same without her. Thanks to her, I was able to experience everything not only through my own eyes, but through hers as well. It was also very special to know that there were friends and family back home thinking about us. We especially missed Crystal and Grayden, and were glad they had such as wonderful summer as well.

What was the most memorable experience? On our last day, as we drove to the Changsha airport, I wrote a sort of a poem in the notebook of a new friend who asked me to put down some of my thoughts before we parted. She emailed it to me a few days after we returned home, translated into Chinese as well. Here it is. If it is followed by a string of little boxes, it means your computer cannot display chinese characters.

PS To begin at the beginning, if that is what you would like, you have to scroll down to the last post, which was the first post.

T.I.C. (This Is China)

when I first arrived in Beijing with my daughter
and saw the ambitious architecture
and preserved hutongs of the Capital,
I thought,
So, this is China.

when we walked along the spine of the Great Wall
twisting through the mountains like an ancient dragon,
allowing us to cross time and space
I thought,
So, this is China.

when we reached Tian'anmen Square
and flowed through the Forbidden City,
engulfed by history and tourists,
I thought
So, this is China.

when we spent fourteen days together
sharing the sweltering food and air of Hunan
Friends, Canadian and Chinese together,
I knew.
This. Is. China.

中国之行
当我第一次和我女儿来到北京
看到了气磅礴的建筑
以及首都仍然保留着的胡同
我想,
原来,就是中国
当我沿着城一路走
城就似一条古老的长龙穿群山
使我感自己正跨越时间和空的距离
我想
原来,就是中国
来到了天安广和紫禁城
里布史和游客的足迹
我想
原来,就是中国
当我在夏令中共度十四天
加拿大朋友和中国朋友
一起享受湖南的新空气和特色食物
我知道 就是中国

No comments:

Post a Comment