Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Camp Day 14 – Sunday August 3 (closing ceremonies)



An essential part of a Chinese summer camp appears to be an ambitious closing ceremony, in which the ceremony is declared open, the students perform for their parents and classmates, everyone is thanked, and the ceremony is declared closed. No one told me about the emotional rollercoaster of this event though.  There was laughter and applause. Gifts were exchanged, tears were shed, email addresses were exchanged, and promises to see each other in the future were made.

Today was a very special part of this adventure, and I was extremely moved by how caring and appreciative everyone seemed to be of the camp experience. It will take a while for all of it to sink in.

Supper was even hotter than usual, but delicious when I could actually taste it. Each day I have eaten more hot peppers and ginger than I have previously eaten in my previous years combined. This will be our last full-blown spicy Hunan meal, and it will likely linger for a while longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment