Sunday, July 19, 2009

Teachers Unsupervised Part 1 - Thursday July 16


The Canadian kids all went on home stays today. Sky and Liam went with Ella and her family. I met the mother yesterday; she is an English teacher at the school. I met the father yesterday as well when we toured the camp facilities; he runs the training centre. So, just to be clear, I didn’t send my child away to stay with a strange family I had never met before, in a foreign country. And to avoid any unnecessary worrying, I’ll jump ahead and let you know that Sky had a great time, and I saw her a few times during the day. The first time, when she stopped by the hotel after lunch to pick up her swimsuit, I could tell she needed a break, or that maybe the homestay was a bit much for her. After a 30 minute nap though, she was energized and ready to go again.

A highlight for today was a demonstration by Ge of various Chinese musical instruments. He is an amazing musician, and can play over a dozen instruments.

So what do a group of adult Canadians do in a city of a few million, with no children around?

We did some more planning for the summer camp, and went to bed early. I think some of us did laundry.

-Paul Stinson
____________

No comments:

Post a Comment